Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wear It Wednesday - Casual

The first thing an image consultant will ask you to do is make a graph showing your wardrobe needs for your lead's lifestyle.

I am often asked what I wear for casual days, but it is a rare day that isn't filled with appointments or social functions

Today I will share some casual looks and my thoughts on why they work well or maybe not so much.


On a recent Sunday, I did take the day off to rest and read. With nothing more on the agenda than going to pick up a pizza, I am barely even wearing any makeup.

If I wear capris or cropped pants, I wear a platform or wedge shoe. This style of pants is very unattractive on most people, and flip flops or other flat shoes will make the legs look really short and thick.

Do you believe that a long tunic covers everything?  Unless you have a tiny flat behind, this is a flawed theory. The back of the tunic actually shows the bottom you are trying to hide even more.



A much better option is a long jacket or waterfall cardigan with movement and an open front. The layers are much more flattering because your body is no longer cut into distinct blocks. The eye is moving over the whole look rather than focusing on the one thing you are trying to conceal.

If the jacket or top ends about two-thirds of the way down the bottom, it is much more flattering. The legs look longer, and the behind looks smaller.

6 comments:

Donna said...

A chic but casual top with jeans or capris is the perfect at home outfit. You have shown some good options. A crew neck tee-shirt with a logo is not a good look on anyone.

Donna B said...

Such good advice, and a question. Do you wear a medium in the covered perfectly tops? I am built a little like you---large top, small bottom.
Thank you!

Susan said...

Yes Donna B. I wear a medium top.

meriusa said...

The second option with the long cardigan is certainly the better.
I like the animal print tunic with the cut shoulders. I like your new hair cut.(fuller )

Joanne said...

In the photo of you wearing the black waterfall sweater, black top and jeans, what jeans are those?

Susan said...

Hi Joanne, Those are a couple years old pair of Levis I ordered from the Levis.com site.