Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Blush Is The New Black!

Are you proud of showing off your rock hard abs? Me either! This week, I share some of the little tricks that I employ to play down my tummy area and other jiggly bits.



Wear black. OK, I know that isn't groundbreaking news, but here is how I use black to my advantage. Black soft flowing tunics, tees, and tanks are my most important building blocks.

For you, it might be black, navy blue, or even dark brown, but you need a dark base color that you can wear on your top half and then layer over it.

If you are interested in drawing attention away from a certain area of your body, this tip is golden. Light colors emphasize, and dark colors recede. Whether you are putting on makeup or getting dressed, you need to always keep this universal truth in mind.


So the magic, fool the eye tool I am using here is the black Covered Perfectly long sleeve top. The low scoop neckline lifts the eye up and cuts the area that is my middle. Black is the perfect neutral for me, so I can add any of my other favorite neutrals over it. This jacket in blush is from White House Black Market. It is also a great neutral that I can wear with any of the other items in my closet.


Another fool the eye technique is to keep the middle of your body very plain and then use an accessory to draw the eye up to a real showstopper. 



The old woven clutch and the watch by English Laundry are both from Saks Off 5th.


The BCBGeneration shoes are from DSW.


The distressed (but never torn) boyfriend jeans are old from Chico's. The sloppy turned up cuff is a youthful hipster trendy styling trick. Sometimes I do play around with one fun trend per look. Too many trends on me can look silly. I can't say that I will ever wear the distressing trend to the point of torn jeans or release hem items, but I do like the look of faded jeans sometimes.


Here is a little video to show you how I quickly changed a plain tunic into a fool the eye top. The top I am wearing in the video is the Simple Comfort V-neck from Covered Perfectly.




9 comments:

Canuck-Girl said...

Great look Susan; love the Blush colour on you!

Kristien62 said...

I love blush, too. The dress I bought for a wedding in Florida is a blush and I love it. And it looks wonderful on you. The tee you are wearing looks so comfortable, but not sloppy like some tees. Does it have a bit of stretch?

Susan said...

The Covered Perfectly tops do stretch but they have very refined details so that you can dress them up or down.

Kathy said...

I don't like the torn jeans look either. It is so overdone, even on young people. IMO it just looks sloppy and sort of insulting to those who truly cannot afford better.

Anonymous said...

I love the "ruching" trick. I will definitely try that!

DeeDee said...

Thanks for the video. Great idea with the top. I will do this soon. I'm also not a fan of the torn and frayed hem style. I like a nice faded jean at times, but like you, not the destructed.

Unknown said...

I like the blush jacket. You look cute in this outfit! I agree about the distressed/torn jeans...not a fan.

Lisa B said...

Thanks for all the styling tips! I have a pear shaped body (bigger on the bottom and smaller on top) so I do the opposite. Lighter, bolder colors and patterns on my upper body and dark, monotone on the bottom. Another trick to fool the eye. Thanks!!

Susan said...

You are in the majority Lisa B! More people have the pear shape than any other. You are correct in your use of colors and patterns. Thank you for your comment.